- Playing so hard at the park with my son today that I forgot that I had this post drafted up and it almost didn’t get posted till Friday…
- Just got a new roll of film back and I can’t wait to post my snow photos! The crocus photo above was on that roll… yay spring!
- I have photos included in the new Animal issue of APRICOT magazine, as well as some interview questions.
- Lauren and Brad’s engagement session was featured on WeddingGawker early last week.
- IKEA, it’s an obsession, I just cannot help myself. Just browsing the catalog makes me want to donate all my furniture to the YMCA and start over again. Maybe one day when I de-clutter and get a true office in my house. If we ever get an IKEA in this area you will find me hanging out there on a daily basis.
- Cookout. I tried it for the first time ever yesterday since there finally wasn’t a mile long line of people waiting, amazing burger and hush puppies. I hear rave reviews about the milk shakes, but I haven’t tried one yet.
- My new snow boots, I have been wearing them since they came a couple days ago despite the fact that it is really warm out and there doesn’t appear to be any sign of snow in the near future:
- My dear friend Carly had her little girl today! How appropriate because the newborn props I bought to photograph her with came in the mail today also.
- The new issue of 16 Blocks is out, I have some pictures and an ad in there so keep your eyes peeled. They are free and available all over the place in Blacksburg and other towns in the New River Valley.
- My son doing his wiggle dance. Finally caught a few seconds of it on video on Valentine’s Day.
- Yellow cake with chocolate frosting
The above photo was from last weekend when we actually got a little bit of snow that melted about an hour later. It’s for the theme “float” this week on Chaque Semaine. I would have put snow on the list, but it teased me this week.
- Emily + Brett’s engagement session was featured on WeddingGawker on Monday.
- My son Auden went to day care for the first time on Monday and it went AMAZING, he didn’t even acknowledge us when we went to pick him up at the end of the day.
- Apple butter, especially on peanut butter sandwiches
- Wood piles
- Irrelevant photos of jellyfish… well not completely irrelevant, I love the photo and I love jellyfish, and I loved that trip to Washington, DC where I got to see the jellyfish.
- I’ve got some awesome plans for this weekend, a couple fun shoots [including another instillation of the Bookish series], painting, and yummy dinner at Macado’s. Maybe even celebrating Valentine’s Day early if I’m lucky.
What are you loving this week?
- Margarita and David’s engagement session was featured on Wedding Gawker yesterday!
- One of my favorite blogs, Daniella Marie, featured me for part of her “For the Love of Film” series today!
- Carol Lee Donuts (see above; my favorites – chocolate frosted and coconut – not pictured because they were already eaten).
- Feeling inspired for personal projects… Maybe it was the extra 15 minute walk that brought out the spark, yesterday I sat down and busted out a massive list of creative shoot ideas. Now I just need to find some models! (hint, hint, beautiful ladies of the Blacksburg, Christiansburg, Radford, SW Virginia area)
- These warm sunny days. (Even though I’m secretly harboring feelings that it might be a sign of the apocalypse… Must do all things on bucket list right this very second!)
What do you love this week?
- Over the weekend Katie and I met with two of the couples whose weddings we will be photographing this year and they were both SO amazing, I’m absolutely giddy excited for these nuptials. Even more exciting is that I get to shoot primarily film for one of them!
- I tweeted my photo (above) to @FilmWins and she included it in a blog post… And there I was starting to think that Twitter was pretty useless for me. [I'm @hollycromerpix if you are interested]
- Having such a good week that I started my “Things I Love Thursday” post on Monday.
- Eating Greek… It started with a feta kick a few months ago, then moved to hummus, now I’m all about just about any type of Greek food. If you knew me 2+ years ago you would be amazed, I’ve always been very picky and never tried anything new until I did Weight Watchers last year.
And completely unrelated… I think Katie and I need some advice. We are maintaining separate photography entities (for individual portrait work – families, babies, senior portraits, etc), but will be working together to shoot weddings. We started this Facebook page together, but don’t have a really great name for ourselves (we started with H + K, but now I found out that’s actually a gun company, oopsie doodles) and our existing banner does not look great as a watermark. So until we figure out the name/watermark situation our Facebook page is basically just shared information from our respective FB pages so any input is greatly appreciated! We both want to make sure people can see who took each photo so below our chosen logo we would put “Holly” or “Katie”.
- Blanket forts that take up the entire living room.
- Mini road trips for fun photo shoots.
- Not only was I accepted to be listed as a vendor on Wedding Wire, but the brides from the two weddings I photographed were kind enough to leave me glowing reviews that left me teary eyed!
- FINALLY figured out how to change the background image on this blog and I madly love the new chevron print, much more my style than floral.
- Photo filled weekend coming up… I have NO idea when I am going to sleep so I’ll be counting on adrenaline to get me through.
- Finished up my first roll of film in what feels like forever [maybe like 2 months?] so I can’t wait to see what, if anything, comes out, especially since my son pulled a decent amount out of the canister.
- Not having a cold anymore.
- My favorite TV shows are finally back from the holiday break, yay Hulu Plus!
- My sassy pants boots that I got for Christmas… slow walkers can hear me coming and move over because I am coming through.
- And Valentine’s Day… I’m going to do a Valentine’s Day special, I wish I had posted it earlier, but it should be up sometime tomorrow or this weekend so keep your eyes peeled if you are looking for a sweet/sexy gift for your significant other (or a gift for yourself if you are single)!
What are you loving this week?
This is a long exposure photo I took last night of downtown Blacksburg with all of the Christmas decorations still up. It was my contribution to this week’s theme of “low” on Chaque Semaine. I’ve been dying to get a shot kind of like this so I bundled up my little one and we braved the cold for a mini-photo adventure downtown. So what’s the thing I love about this? I guess that I finally took this picture that’s been in my head for a few months and I also love how it turned out.
I also love: having a week off from my day job, sushi (my 19 month old ate his first piece of cucumber roll today), Gossip Girl viewing dates, hummus, and picking tons of winners for the holiday giveaways because I have never been good at leaving folks out.
And I have to share this… I bought my son a Yo Gabba Gabba DVD for Christmas and I was thrilled to see that it included my favorite episode that features Elijah Wood Dancey Dance:
Seriously though, is the puppet master not one of the creepiest things ever? It cracks me up big time.
- I got my amazing Christmas photos back from miss Katie Estes [my soon to be photography business partner] which you can see more of over on her blog! I chose the one on the left for our Christmas cards this year.
- My first two gallery show openings, within a week of each other, on two separate continents…
Here’s a little video from an exhibit in Brighton, UK called The Photocopy Club that is featuring a couple of my photos. Unfortunately you cannot see them in the video and I can’t exactly fly of to the UK to take any photos of the exhibit myself, but I am very excited to have my work shown in another country/continent! And here’s the photo they posted to their blog when they received my submission to the exhibit:
And since I’m sharing photos of the UK exhibit, here are a couple photos from the gallery opening in Floyd last week:
- Something else that I love this Thursday (and every day) are my friends and family. Sometimes it feels like we can’t get a break at all in the Virginia Tech community, Blacksburg is so small and these tragedies feel so out of place happening here. My heart goes out to the officer who lost his life today and the rest of his family.